expod is a small utility for getting songs off your iPod. iTunes does a fantastic job of copying music onto an iPod, but lacks the ability to go the other way. With expod you can copy any or all of your songs (or videos) off your iPod, using whatever file naming convention you like.
expod copies your files back to your hard-drive untouched, and does not remove DRM from songs you bought on iTunes.
expod uses the disk mode functionality in older iPods. Starting with version 0.5, iPhones, iPod Touches and newer iPods are also supported.
expod is completely free, and includes source code if you'd like to see how it works. If you're interested in reading the license, you can find it here.
expod is a Universal Binary, and requires OS X 10.4 or later. If you are using an earlier version of OS X, you can try expod 0.3.
expod-0.7.3.dmg including source.
expod came about partly because I was annoyed at the way Apple limits the functionality if iTunes, but also because I wanted to learn how to code for Mac OS X. Developing expod has been an exercise in learning Objective-C, Xcode, and GUI programming.
expod 0.7.3 - 2010-06-22 [download]
- Fixed a crash when copying a book from an iPad or iPhone
expod 0.7.2 - 2009-10-04 [download]
- Fixed a crash with some iPod Nanos
expod 0.7.1 - 2009-10-02 [download]
- Fixed compatibility with Mac OS X 10.4.x
expod 0.7 - 2009-09-18 [download]
- Fixed problems with iPhone OS 3.x devices and iTunes 9
expod 0.6 - 2009-06-11 [download]
- Fixed crash if iTunes 8.2 is installed
- Fixed I/O errors
- Convert ":" characters in filenames to underscores
- Updated French translation - thanks to Charles Camirand and Richard Duthu
expod 0.5 - 2009-03-05 [download]
- Support iPhones, iPod Touches and newer iPods
- Allow extract even if there are duplicate filenames
expod 0.4 - 2009-01-03 [download]
- Updated UI
- Debug log window
- Better error handling and information
- Realtime display of filenames that will be copied
expod 0.3 - 2007-03-02 [download]
- Fix a bug reading from ipods on Intel Macs
- Added <year> tag
- Changes to the extract panel
- French translation - thanks to Charles Camirand
expod 0.2 - 2006-11-10 [download]
- Replace forward-slash characters with underscores in filenames
- Add a cancel transfer button
- Use the original file extension
expod 0.1 - 2006-10-08 [download]
- First release
- Reads iPods, handles iPod connection/disconnection
- Supports multiple iPods (untested)
- Copy songs based on filename template